Friday, February 18, 2011

Drive to SLC

This week I had the opportunity to drive a woman in the ward to South Salt Lake for some medical treatments. I had offered help "if she ever needs something just call" and then the darndest thing happened...she did.

My initial selfish thought was, "cool, I will read in the lobby and have tons of time to just indulge in this passion without the guilt of not getting the other nine million things in my life finished (oh did I mention,...I'm a mom and with that comes a fairly busy schedule?:)) Then this woman asked if I would be uncomfortable sitting with her during her exam because it was fairly extensive and a male doctor. I, myself, prefer male docs but I was OK with this because it takes an awful lot to make Tammy uncomfortable.

Anyways,...my random musings for my trip consists of the following:

1. I clearly am missing the controller in my brain that censors every little thought that comes out of my mouth. (Probably isn't any of my business but I still find people fascinating and because of that I guess sometimes my questions of interest might seem 'indelicate'. ) When I was burned I would rather people came right out and asked what was on their mind instead of point and look away. As a natural byproduct of my own experience I tend to ask what is on my mind and assume the person will tell me if they don't want to talk about it. I guess we will find out Sunday if she runs away when I see her at church. tee hee hee.

2. Service for others is a great way to lose oneself and put your own challenges in perspective. This woman told me a story of an experience with one of our 13 year old girls in the ward and this child's love and service for her astounded me. Everyone has the ability to serve and even the smallest things may turn out to be a huge thing for one who is unable.

3. Most interesting conversation for the day, "reconstructed breasts have the nipples tatooed on." (Refer to No 1 and you can perhaps guess where Tammy went with this.:) I suggested (while laughing) that she would have the best 'good news minute' in Relief Society..."I have a new tatoo Sister's and I just love the feeling of self expression that I have now."

4. Theme for the day, (yes,...this IS how I started our road trip) "It's all about the cha chas!"

5. Favorite thought for the day, "Fight Like A Girl".

I don't know this sister very well at all, in fact I had to look up her first name because I have only ever called her by her last name and that wasn't all that often either. But she was humble enough to ask for help and I am grateful that I was available. More than anything that day I reflected time and time again about a favorite Aunt of mine who went through a similar experience and my heart cracked a little because I didn't understand her challenges at the time.

May I be better and more aware of those in my life who need a heart to hear them during their own challenges whatever they may be.

1 comment:

  1. You are so cool. I had a little procedure done last week. I should have had you take me. It would have livened up my day.

    ReplyDelete